4 Fridays March 4, 11, 25 & April 1, 2022
7:30 – 9 PM Central time
$45 per single session/$150 for all 4 sessions
Art was humans’ first language. If we lose our expression of ourselves through visual art, we lose our basic language. No one ever said “I should not speak, because what I speak is not poetry.” Then why are we harsh on expressing ourselves through art, which is a universal language and crosses boundaries? Art helps us de-stress by helping us express things that we are not able to express in words. In this class designed for artists of all levels, Sujata Tibrewala offers a series of simple exercises that can be done on a day to day basis to help express yourself through art in an art journal. The goal is not to create a finished piece of art, but to practice tapping into art’s healing power to deal with day to day stresses of life.
In this 4-week series, we will experience a set of 22 short timed exercises designed to help you connect with your emotions, free yourself of judgment of the final product, and enjoy the cathartic process of creation. Several different exercises are given in each class meeting; however, none of them depend on any of the previous ones so it is ok to take the class on a drop-in basis.
Sujata Tibrewala is a self-taught artist who in 2009 gave up her electrical engineering career for her first love, art, and now uses her knowledge of science to spread art and issues close to her heart. Born in India, Sujata had successful solo exhibits and conducted many art workshops,some of which resulted in student exhibitions. Sujata moved to the U.S. in 2010 and currently resides in San Jose, CA. Her works are on display at many galleries including Regional Commission of Arts, St Louis and Marine Foundation, California. Her noted exhibitions include Life Force Arts Ensemble, Chicago IL; Gateway gallery, St Louis MO; Lalit Kala Academy; and Jawahar Kala Kendra, Jaipur, India. Sujata is an artist member of many artistic organizations including the St. Louis Artists’ Guild, Women’s Caucus for the Arts, and Art Concoctions. Starting from her school days, Sujata won many awards, and her art has received rave reviews in leading print and electronic media of India and USA.
- 5. Look at an object with holes, tree, chair, plant anything, try to paint the space in between the obkect
- 6. Make a copy of your favorite art in 10 minutes
- 7. Draw your body as you see it, label every part with why you like it
- 8. Find an object in your house, that reminds you of your past, paint it
- 9. Draw two circles, fill inner one with names you trust, everyone else is in the outer one
- 10. Look at your favourite place in your house, close your eyes, and try to paint it in 10 minutes
- 11. Draw concentric circles, fill them with words you would want others to say to you
- 12. Pick 5 pictures from your phone, print and hang them in your art corner
- 13. Make space for your art supplies, make sure they are visible to you
- 14. Pick a bunch of leaves, and paint them
- 15. Note light coming in through a window in your room, paint the shadows
- 16. Imagine your Dream bedroom, paint it
- 17. If you had one wish, what would it be? Paint it
- 18. Pick different types of brushes, practice different strokes with them, not worrying about the results
- 19. Pick your favorite color, copy any original art with just shades of that color
- 20. Pick two opposite colors, copy any original art with just shades of those colors
- 21. Go outdoors, frame what you see in an empty picture frame, paint it
March 4, 2022
7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
After you have registered for the class you will be contacted with the Zoom link for the class.